Pregnant women have different nutritional needs to help the healthy development of the unborn baby. Below is a healthy food recipe for a pregnant woman good for breakfast, the whole-wheat buttermilk pancakes.
In preparing this recipe, allot one hour to prepare to settle the batter. The ingredients are:
1 cup of low-fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon of apple juice concentrate
3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
5 of tablespoons wheat germ
1/3 cup of nonfat dry milk
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 large egg whites
Margarine or butter
A dash of salt to taste
Ground cinnamon to taste
There are variations to garnish the pancakes. It could be with unsweetened apple sauce, unsweetened fruit, maple syrup or yogurt. The yield for this recipe is approximately 12 pancakes.
Here are the procedures:
1) Make a puree with the use of blender all the ingredients to make a buttermilk-flour mixture. Don’t include the margarine, egg whites and the garnishes.
2) Beat the eggs until firm in a mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk-flour mixture into the egg whites. Let the mixture stand for one hour.
3) Using a non-stick skillet, heat it and when it’s hot enough, put some margarine or butter. Mix the batter and scoop a mixture into the skillet to make at least 3″ pancake. When you see bubbles on the surface of the pancake, and the sides are lightly brown, turn the pancake to the other side. It will not take you two minutes to cook one pancake. Continue brushing margarine or butter in the skillet in between batches.
4) Decorate your pancakes with your preferred garnishing.
Here are two recipes to match with the pancakes during breakfast to satisfy the sweet tooth of a pregnant woman, the milk shake and the fruity oatmeal cookies.
Before doing this recipe, freeze for at least 12 to 24 hours an overripe banana. The ingredients are:
1 cup of skim or low-fat milk
¼ cup of nonfat dry milk
1 piece of frozen overripe banana, cut into chunks
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
A dash of ground cinnamon to taste
Just put all the ingredients inside the blender and make a puree. It makes one glass of milk shake.
For variations, add ½ cup of fresh strawberries or unsweetened frozen and one tablespoon of frozen apple juice concentrate before making a puree.
Fruity Oatmeal Cookies
You need the following ingredients:
Vegetable oil or vegetable cooking spray
10 pitted dates
6 tablespoons of apple juice concentrate
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 ½ cups of rolled oats or a mixture of oats and raw wheat flakes
1 cup of raisins
¼ to ½ cup of chopped nuts
1 egg white
A dash of cinnamon to taste
Here are the procedures:
1) Turn the oven to 3500F. Using the vegetable oil or vegetable cooking spray, grease lightly the nonstick baking sheet.
2) Put the dates and the apple concentrate in a saucepan. Let it simmer until the fruit has softened. Using a blender, make a puree of the mixture and pour it into a bowl. Add the nuts, raisins, oats, 2 tablespoons of oil and cinnamon.
3) Using a separate mixing bowl, beat lightly the egg white. Gently fold it into the cookie mixture.
4) Drop enough batter into the prepared baking sheet.
5) Bake up to 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
This will make about 24 pieces of 2-inch cookies.